MONDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2021. BY WINE INSTITUTE.
California vineyards and wineries are encouraged to apply for the 8th Annual Green Medal Sustainable
ABOUT CALIFORNIA GREEN MEDAL SUSTAINABLE WINEGROWING LEADERSHIP AWARDS
Now in its eighth year, the California Green Medal Sustainable Winegrowing Leadership Awards provide recognition to vineyards and wineries who are leaders in implementing the Three E’s of sustainability (environment, economic and social equity). The Green Medal awards inspire others in the industry and highlight the benefits of participating in a sustainability program. It’s a great opportunity to showcase the amazing commitment many California growers and vintners have made to protecting the environment and enhancing the communities in which they live and work.
“The California Green Medal awards provide an annual opportunity to showcase vintners and winegrape growers who are deeply committed to environmentally and socially responsible practices,” said Allison Jordan, CSWA Executive Director. “We are excited to review the 2022 entries, which always provide practical and real-life examples of the California wine community’s leadership in sustainable winegrowing.”
Dr. Stephanie Bolton, Director of the LODI RULES Sustainable Winegrowing Program, adds “Even just filling out an application for a Green Medal Award is rewarding. Completing the application helps you and your staff realize all of the exciting sustainable practices you have in place, and it forces you to write these practices down in a concise way that makes sense to the public – sentences you can use in your marketing material to promote sustainability.”
Congratulations to the 2021 California Green Medal recipients:
- All applicants must be a California vineyard and/or winery
- All applicants must have participated in a California sustainability program within the past three years (e.g. California Green Business Program, Certified B Corp, California Sustainable Winegrowing Self-Assessment Program, Certified California Sustainable Winegrowing, Fish Friendly Farming, LandSmart®, LODI RULES for Sustainable Winegrowing, LODI RULES Self-Assessment, Napa Green, SIP Certified®, SIP Certified® Self-Assessment)
- Applicants are encouraged to focus on practices, projects or initiatives that have taken place in the past three years, with a particular emphasis on the past three years.
- Previous winners must wait three years to reapply and are encouraged to apply in other award categories
Online applications are being accepted now through Tuesday, February 4, 2022. Apply at greenmedal.org.
In addition to being recognized as a sustainability leader in the California wine industry, award winners will:
- Receive a green medal award and certificate
- Be recognized at an awards ceremony
- Receive full access to award logo to include in marketing efforts
- Be listed on presenting organizations websites and featured in award communications (widely distributed press releases, e-newsletters, social media, etc.)
- Be featured in a full-page Wine Business Monthly ad
- Be featured in video of award winners and receive a copy for your own use
- Be featured through a variety of media opportunities and at various tasting and sustainable winegrowing educational events
The 8th annual California Green Medal Awards are being judged by a panel of wine and sustainability experts including Karen Block, PhD, UC Davis Viticulture and Enology; Stephanie Bolton, PhD, Lodi Winegrape Commission; Anna Brittain, Napa Green; Danielle D’Amour, Sonoma Winegrape Commission; Lisa Francioni-Hai, California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance; Frances Knapczyk, Napa Resource Conservation District; Cyril Penn, Wine Business Monthly; Phil Market, Vons, Albertson’s, and Pavilions; Sandra Taylor, MBA, JD, Sustainable Business International LLC; Beth Vukmanic, Vineyard Team; and Natalie Wymer, Wine Institute.
The California Green Medal is presented by the California Sustainable Winegrowing Alliance (CSWA), California Association of Winegrape Growers, Lodi Winegrape Commission, Napa Green, Napa Valley Vintners, Sonoma County Winegrowers, The Vineyard Team, and Wine Institute.
Sponsorship provides excellent exposure for companies and organizations that provide services and products to vineyards and wineries aiming to enhance their sustainability practices. Click HERE to learn about sponsorship opportunities.
Current sponsors include:
- Exclusive Media Sponsor: Wine Business Monthly
- Gold Sponsor: Farm Credit Alliance
Have something interesting to say? Consider writing a guest blog article!
To subscribe to the Coffee Shop Blog, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “blog subscribe.”
To join the Lodi Growers email list, send an email to email@example.com with the subject “grower email subscribe.”
To receive Lodi Grower news and event promotions by mail, send your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 209.367.4727.
For more information on the wines of Lodi, visit the Lodi Winegrape Commission’s consumer website, lodiwine.com.