PAUL’S POST-HARVEST CHECKLIST
It’s of utmost importance to keep busy during the winter months, and luckily there are plenty of projects needing labor year-round!
Below is a post-harvest checklist from Paul Verdegaal (San Joaquin County Farm Advisor, UCCE) for 2016:
- Irrigation system repairs
- Irrigation until rains (If rains stop for extended time, supplemental winter irrigation is helpful; especially if irrigation is timed just before next rain.)
- No Nitrogen (Potassium is OK)
- Identify weeds
- Strip spray winter “wet” spots and/or spot spray perennials or problem areas not yet bolted
- Note and mark worst vines for Red Blotch and/or Leafroll
- Irrigated Lands Regulatory Program: Update permit and record season Nitrogen data
- Review air pollution permit (100 acres contiguous)
- Check riparian areas for bird activity (Vine mealybug infestations)
- Control gophers, voles, squirrels, rabbits (Owl box cleaning and replacements/relocations)
- Contact your local Natural Resources Conservation Services office to learn about financial assistance for conservation efforts
Blog articles with detailed information about some of these topics are to follow, as well as Paul’s 2016 Harvest Re-Cap!
Have something interesting to say? Consider writing a guest blog article!
To subscribe to the Coffee Shop Blog, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “blog subscribe.”
To join the Lodi Growers email list, send an email to email@example.com with the subject “grower email subscribe” or click on “join our email list” to the right.
To receive Lodi Grower news and event promotions by mail, send your contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 209.367.4727.
For more information on the wines of Lodi, visit the Lodi Winegrape Commission’s consumer website, lodiwine.com.